Maine Chess Player of the Year
The 2013 CPY competition is under way. The items below describe the rules established for this year's events, as voted on by the MECA Policy board at the December 16 annual meeting.
• To be listed as a participating CPY event, organizers will pay a $10 fee for up to 10 entries, $15 for more than 10 entries per event. (Additional funding for prizes comes from membership fees, state championship net profits, and donations.)
• CPY tournaments from 2012 will be offered first choice for listing in each region.
• Current MECA membership is required. Only players with current MECA membership during the event may accumulate CPY points from a CPY designated event. Players are responsible for verifying current status and joining or renewing if needed. Status and renewal will be managed by Lee Doucette, MECA Secretary.
• Competition is open to all MECA members in any tournament section.
• CPY points will be available in regional tournaments, 3 per region (North, East, Central, and South).
• CPY points are awarded for tournament scores plus tournament games played or forced byes; no score or game points are awarded for requested byes.
• Players may play in as many CPY tournaments as they wish.
• Players may use the best tournament score results from any 8 CPY events in which they play.
• Players may accumulate additional games played points only toward their CPY score if playing in more than 8 CPY tournaments. This recognizes the original intent of the competition, that being to promote participation in state tournaments.
• Any event that is not 4 rounds will be prorated to equal a 4 round event (except the Maine State Championship which will be 5 rounds).
• Prizes will remain $150/1st, $75/2nd
• The Maine Chess Player of the Year traveling trophy is presented to the first place winner to hold for the following year, and the winner's name will be added to the trophy. A printed certificate will also be to the winner.
If you have any questions about the CPY competition, your MECA membership, or upcoming CPY events, please contact a member of the MECA Policy Board as listed on the MECA page of ChessMaine.net
We look forward to seeing you over the board!
The Maine Chess Association
President Andy Bryan
Vice President Dan DeLuca
Secretary Lee Doucette
Treasurer Andrey Savov
Directors: Barry Magda, Dan Keliher, Phil Lowell, Ron Lewis
Here is a list of the 2013 Maine Chess Player of the Year events: (Coming Soon)
Northern Maine and Washington County: Houlton Player of the Year Event, Presque Isle Player of the Year Event
Bangor Area - MLK Tournament at Stillwater Montessori School, Eastern Maine Open, Aurora Winter Solstice
Central Maine - Maine Closed Championship, ChessMaine.net Championship, Augusta Event
Southern Maine - Saco Open, Downeast Open, Portland Open
Maine Chess Player of the Year Winners
2012 Jarod Bryan, Augusta
2011 Roger Morin, Houlton
2008 Barry Magda, West Gardiner
2007 Ruben Babayan, Portland
2006 Lee Doucette, Portland
2005 Jarod Bryan, Waterville
2004 Ralph Townsend, Holden
2002 Ruben Babayan, Portland
2001 Ruben Babayan, Portland
2000 Ruben Babayan, Portland
1999 Jon Buxton, West Gardiner
1998 Joe Wrba, Kennebunk
1997 Ruben Babayan, Portland
1996 Gary Mitchell, Saco; Ruben Babayan, Portland
1995 Michael Moore, Mt. Vernon
1994 Joe Robillard, Lewiston